Meet the Doctors
Cardiologist in Maui, HI
At UpCountry Cardiology, our dedicated doctors work hard to ensure you get the comprehensive, individualized care you deserve. Dr. Maria Markarian knows how critical it is to get high-quality cardiovascular care from the moment you think you may have a heart problem.
Learn more about our providers before coming in for your one-on-one appointment.
Maria Markarian, DO, FACC, FSCAI, is board certified in cardiology by the American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine. Dr. Markarian is a skilled and compassionate cardiologist who has been diagnosing and treating heart disease of all types for more than 30 years. After beginning her career in mid-Michigan, she decided to establish her own practice in Hawaii. In 2007, she founded Kailua Cardiology in Kailua on the island of Oahu. As a Pukalani resident and homeowner since 2015, Dr. Markarian is excited to now be able to help care for the Upcountry community.
Since then, she’s been aiding the local community in diagnosing and treating their congenital heart defects, coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, arrhythmias, and more. She and her dedicated staff are now proud to offer a wide range of in-office procedures and diagnostic testing services to the residents of Maui. As a woman, Dr. Markarian is also proud to specialize in women’s heart wellness - providing women across the island of Maui with individualized care.
- General Cardiovascular Care
- Women’s Heart Health
- Valvular Heart Problems
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
Education & Training
- Undergraduate: BA in biology, University of California San Diego (San Diego, CA), 1978
- Post-graduate: physiology, radiation biology, San Diego State University (San Diego, CA), 1980
- Medical degree: DO, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (Pomona, CA), 1984
- Residency training: internal medicine, Bi-County Community Hospital (Warren, MI), 1988
- Fellowship training: cardiovascular disease and interventional cardiology, Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (East Lansing, MI), 1991
- Cardiology – American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine – American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology (FACC)
- Fellow, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions (FSCAI)
- Fellow, American College of Osteopathic Internists (FACOI)